`West Looe and St.Nicolas` Church, from East Looe`
Thomas Flowerday Clarke, FRSA 1938
Painted in 1938 by T. F. Clarke this view of West Looe across the river at low tide has changed over the years but is still fundamentally the same - the church of St. Nicolas is a well known and historical landmark in the town, as is the Jolly Sailor Inn on the far right of the painting. Clarke was an interesting figure, painting and exhibiting alongside a career in banking, having undergone a comprehensive art school training. Cleaned and revarnished, the painting is housed in a good gilt 1930`s frame and is double mounted behind glass. A nice size at 22 x 19 inches overall which will fit in any location. Signed lower right, dedication and dated verso.
Thomas Flowerday Clarke, FRSA (1877-1953) was born in Brixton on February 28, 1877, the son of Robert Clarke from Norfolk. T.F. Clarke married Nora Dilys Powell. Studied at Heatherley`s School of Art and Central School of Arts and Crafts. His career was spent at the Bank of England, from which he retired in 1952.
He exhibited at the Royal Academy - its catalogue describes him as a landscape painter - between 1932 and 1946, the Royal Institute of Oil Painters and at other art galleries in London and elsewhere. After the war he was a member of the Wapping Group of Artists and of the Langham Sketching Club. He was active in the Croydon Art Society, serving on its committee from the 1930s to the 1950s and was Joint Secretary sometime in the 1930s and Vice President in the year of his death.
Clarke lived at 22 Blenheim Park Road, South Croydon, until his death on Friday, October 30, 1953.
|Medium||oil on canvas board||Condition||very good|
|Image size||14 x 11 inches||Provenance||signed lower right, dated verso|
|Overall size||22 x 19 inches|